Steve Townson is the reigning Amazon Peacock Bass World Champion. He has specialized in Giant Peacock Bass jig fishing for many years and has won both the 2006 and 2007 International Amazon Peacock Bass World Championships using exclusively ‘Stevie Stinger’ Jigs.
‘Stevie Stinger’ Bucktail Jigs are the perfect jigs for Amazon fishing and indeed are responsible for catching fish all over the world, with Pike and Perch in the UK, Zander (European ‘Walleyes’) and Wels Cats in Spain, Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass in the States, Barramundi and Salmon in Australia, GTs, Barracuda and other reef fish in Mauritius, Tiger Fish and Nembwe in Zambia and Namibia.
These jigs are deadly in the Amazon, our main field of action. They are great Peacock Bass fishing jigs but also catch countless Payara, Pescada, Aimara, Bicuda, Arowana, Sardinata, Golden Dorado, Arapaima and many more species throughout the Amazon and South America.
The jig heads are hand-cast in ‘Ultra Minnow’ shapes, in 1/2oz size with 4X extra-strong and 5/0 black nickel jig hooks. Bigger hooks tend to hang up on trees and structure more easily so we use a maximum hook size of 5/0.
Each jig head comes with 3D eyes and is painted to be colour-coordinated with the actual jig body buck tail hair to present an even more extended profile.
‘Stevie Stingers’ are tied with premium, extra-long buck tails, Flashibou for a more reflective and natural-looking presentation and all have extended tails tied onto 80lb monofilament, making the total length of 6 - 6 ½ inches.
Your mixed pack of jigs will include 25 jigs from the following patterns:
1.‘Tucuna’ - Green and yellow with black stripes, red throat and black tail, Peacock Bass being cannibalistic, will nail this jig as it resembles their own kind.
2. ‘Black Momma’ - Black and white, red throat and black tail, a great color for all Peacock Bass in any situation, but especially where the baitfish tend to be smaller.
3. ‘Arucu’ - Black and yellow with stripes, red throat and black tail, Arucu is one of the most common baitfish in the Amazon.
4. ‘Hornet’ - Black and orange, stripes with black tail, a killer combination for blackwater Peacocks.
5. ‘Jacunda’ - Black and pink, black stripes with a black tail, Jacunda imitation, perfect for smaller streams and rivers.
6. ‘Red Robin’ - Red and white with red tail, a highly-visible jig for stained water, although it works great in all conditions.
7. ‘Head Banger’ - Red and yellow with red tail, a great all-round jig and our top producer for both stained or clear water.
8. ‘Leprechaun’ - Green and white, red throat with green tail, when most other colors are slow in producing, we have found that this one seems to wake them up.